Nowadays Sandalwood is coming out of its image as a small industry compared to Kollywood and Tollywood. And the heartening fact is that good Kannada films are also being made. There is innovation in script, good technical prowess, promising directors and a new word “new wave cinema”. Well, here is the top 10 news of Kannada film industry of all time.
1. Kannada film industry made a record of 99 films being released (93 Kannada and 6 Tulu) in just six months; that is from January 2016 to June 2016. In a matter of six months a huge 500 crores was invested in Sandalwood alone. Kharva, U—Turn,Thithi and Godhi Banna Saadarana Maikattu turned out to be hits in the first half. The heartening fact is that some of these films didn’t have big stars. This was seen in Tamilnadu and is nice to see it getting its hold in Karnataka too. The number of films that made money is a different concern altogether.
2. Shanti is an offbeat Sandalwood flick and it has entered the Guinness Book of World Records. It is the second Indian film to get this honour. Its should be noted that Sunil Dutt’s Yaadein was the first Indian flick to get this recognition. The film entered the Guinness for “The Fewest Actors in a Narrative Film”. The movie was directed by Bharagaru Ramachandrappa and had Bhavana in main role.
3. Master Kishan is the receiver of Guinness Book of World Records for being the youngest director, he is aged 9 while directing the flick. The story is about the journey of an orphan boyand how he fights all odds.
4. Teenage, a Kannada flick, got a place in the Guinness Records for bringing together more than 15,000 kids for a 3.8 minute long song.
5. Snehanjali, another Kannada flick, has gained the spot in Guiness for being the only movie that has a deaf-and-dumb artist in the lead role.
was the lead in this film.
6. 8 Kannada movies were released on September 2 2016. It is general practice that four to five Sandalwood flicks release every week. So eight movies of Kannada releasing in one day was considered as a record.
, Kempammana Court Case, Bablusha, Selfie, Sikka Patte Ishta Patte, Prema Geema Jaane Do and Avadhi are the related movies.
7. The Kannada flick Aatagara created a record by being the first ever Sandalwood flick to be shown in Salalah, Oman. It is also the first Sandalwood flick to be formally commenced in Dubai by none other thanKannada actor
, starring Challenging Star Darshan made an all-time record for Sandalwood flicks. Jaggu Dada was in the news for releasing in 380 theatres and it was considered to be the biggest release in Karnataka. It was also touted to have biggest simultaneous release other than the state.
9. The Kannada film industry has garnered the attention of the other film fraternity mainly because of a new crop of creative directors. Lucia by
, Thithi by
were like a fresh air in the otherwise routine style of filmmaking.
10. Three Kannada flicks were released on December 6, in 2013. Well, this is not the news. These three flicks were directed by debutant directors. Dyavre was helmed by Vijay, popularly called as
, Advaita was directed by Giriraj, and B3 was directed by Ghana Shyam.
Well, these are the 10 news that have been compiled wherein Sandalwood was in the news for different reasons.