Movies are the great source of entertainment, knowledge and information. We have movies with different genres and we could choose the one which we think we are interested. We have Romantic movies, Horror movies, Erotica, Historical, Thriller, Comedy movies and much more. We watch movies and when we step out of the cinema hall sometimes we come out cursing the story and sometimes satisfied, but there are also times when some movies touch the cords and mesmerise us. Such movies teach us lessons for life and leave a huge impact on people and change many lives as well. Not only movies but the actors also leave an immense impact on the society because people make them their idols and want to be like them.
Here are few movies who dared to break the mould and take on social issues.
Rang De Basanti
: This film left a great impact on people as many people came forward to stop corruption and bureaucracy in the country. It inspired the youth and made them realise that they are people who will decide the future of the country and they should work hard to bring the change in the country. The story of the movie is about few students’ who lost their friend in a plane crash and they protest against the government planes used by the Air Force. They did a candle lighting March in the movie which left a mark on people and today, in reality, people do candle rally when they protest against something.
2. "Chak De India": People of other countries might think that the National game of India is Cricket because we play cricket more and do not pay much heed to hockey but the National game of India is Hockey. This movie retrieved recognition to the game especially for women who play hockey in India.
Taare Zameen Par
: This movie was also very impactful this was about a psychological difficulty called Dyslexia. The child who is suffering from this disorder lacks the ability to learn and understand. This movie changed the perception of many parents who does not comprehend their children’s inability to do something and thinks that they are careless. The film spread the message that every child is not the same.
was the director of the film and it got released in 2009. The film also had a great impact on the audience as well as on the education system. The film broke all the box-office records in India. The movie gave the message that money or elite schools don’t matter if someone wants to study he finds his way.
": The '
Shah Rukh Khan
' starrer movie who touched the cords of people and put up the issue that Indians are migrating to the foreign countries to get greener pastures. But this was about the life of an NRI who came back and worked for the country and this spreads the message that everyone should work for their country because a little help to the underprivileged ones from the educated ones can change the world.
6. Prem Rog: The movie got released in 1982; it revolved around the life of a widow. Earlier, in India widows were not allowed to remarry and they get boycotted, but this movie came up with a unique concept which was liked by everyone.
were cast in the film and Rishi Kapoor brings joy back in her life after he loses her husband just after the marriage.
7. Oh My God: Indians worship Gods, but some try to use this and play with their sentiments and emotions. It taught us to trust God but not foolishly. Today many people try to earn money in the name of God, they have made this practice their business. The audience, as well as the critics, appreciated the movie very much.
were cast in the film.
": The story revolves around a woman who fights for her rights with the society.
were cast in the film and Meenakshi fights with her family because they rape their housemaid. Sunny Deol won a National Award for this film.
": This was the first film which represented India at the Cannes film festival in 2010. The story of the movie was related to the Youth who want to follow their heart to achieve something in life.
10. Black Friday: The director of the movie is
and it is on a book written by 'S. Hussain Zaidi' .The movie was on the bomb blasts in Mumbai in 1993 where 300 people were dead and about 1500 people were injured. Everyone admired the film, but Censor Board did not certify the movie for two years.
11. Achhut Kannya: The film got released in 1936. It is on casteism and it gives the message that how everyone is equal. The story of the film depicts a love story of a Brahmin boy and a Harijan girl and Harijans are untouchables and Indian society does not accept these love stories. This movie also left a mark because discrimination amongst castes was very common.
12. "Pakeezah": This was outstanding
starrer film and it took 14 years to complete the shoot and Meena Kumari died just after few weeks the movie got released. The movie was about Prostitution as a career and the movie changed people’s perception about this profession. It portrayed the life of the sex workers, their situations which left a great impact on people. People think that sex workers are not a part of the society, they boycott them and treat them very poorly which we should avoid because they are also human beings.
13. "": The Nation About Women: The movie is on a social evil Female feticide there are still families where if a boy is born then they celebrate it and if a girl is born then it is cursed and the most ugliest thing is that woman does not let another woman to take birth and kills her. Save Girl Child is the message given by this movie. The story of the film is about a girl who is married to five brothers which showcase the cruelty of the society. We should use girls as commodities they are also human beings.
and were the leads in the movie. The film is about pre-marital pregnancy. The movie spreads the message that women who get pregnant before marriage should also be respected and loved equally. If a woman conceives before marriage, then it does not mean that she is characterless. These evils should be unnerved from the Indian society.
15. Dor: The story depicts the connection between two girls Meera and Zeenat and Meera is a widow and Zeenat tries to protect her husband and she faces many complexities during her life. The film portrays the life of women in India after she loses her husband. Fate brings both of them together where one loses her husband and other tries to save her.
is the director of the film and he researched for three years so that he couldn’t commit any mistake because the movie revolves around a very severe topic infertility and artificial insemination. The movie is on sperm donation and it is a romantic comedy. The story of the film is about Vicky (
) who donates his sperm when a fertility expert convinces him to do so. It is a very severe issue of the Indian society about which we do not pay much heed.
": The movie is about the difficulties faced by the women in India and the imposed rules, regulations and restrictions. The four most powerful women were there in the film and the names of them in the movie were Maithili, Janki, Ramdulaari and Vaidehi, all the names of Sita who is the Ideal Hindu woman. All the loopholes in the Indian society related to women are showcased in the movie which left a great impact on people.
18. My Brother Nikhil: The film is on HIV/AIDS and gay relationships which citizens of India do not support much and many people do not even understand these things. The director had to face many problems in seeking permission from the government to make the film. The director gave a disclaimer stating that the film is entirely fictitious. The film was appreciated everywhere in the world and applauded the most.
19. Mother India: The movie is on the power of the woman. After Independence, there were many social and cultural changes took place in India and this movie mesmerised everyone left a huge mark on the audience.
was the lead in the film and the story is about a woman who is a widow and raises her children with difficulties and later she killed her son when he chose the wrong path. The movie was nominated for the foreign-language film at the Academy Awards as well.
20. Manthan: This was the first movie which was not shot by any production house, but the group of Farmers in Gujarat of Co-operative Federation in Gujarat collected Rs. 2 each for the production of the movie. The director of the film was
who traced a small set of farmers in Kheda Gujarat. This movie also left a great impact on the audience.
There are many movies that left a great impact on the viewers. Movies are the best way to teach something to the society, but movies should be the way that they could touch the hearts of the people.