CAST & CREW
MORE CAST & CREW
“ Udta Punjab” worth all the fuss, controversies and the hype. The movie conveys the right message of Punjab being in the grip of drugs with both knack and slant. Abhishek Chaubey’s Udta Punjab after much strife has managed to make a place in the audience’s heart. The film is not at all glorifying the substance of abuse. The fear of before the release date remained untouched by piracy, all thanks to the appeal made by AnuragKashyap and the team. The film is presented by Phantom Films. Alia Bhatt will be seen romancing with Shahid Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor Khan will star opposite Diljit Dosanjh. Despite working in the same film Shahid and Kareena have not shared a single frame.The movie is a gritty thriller and a pleasure to watch.
The title “Udta Punjab” is very much appropriate as per the subject. The film is all about the drug mafia and drug abuse in Punjab. The film revolves around the four stars with all of them playing a vital role in the movie. Tommy Singh (Shahid Kapoor) is a fluky Rockstar and a severe drug addict. He is a rapper who rhymes and makes a song out of it. He is high on the white stuff and loves it, till the day everything coagulate right from all the glee to the endless supply of the ‘chitta’ powder. His eyes open up when he meets Bihari Laborer (Alia Bhatt) a bruised-yet-not-ruined, who has become a victim in the vicious game without her will.
The story has a corrupt cop Sartaj Singh (Diljit Dosanjh), who is happy to be a blunder in the drug traffic, till one day it comes to his own brother. The courageous Dr. Preet Sahni (Kareena Kapoor Khan), runs a rehab center and is another strong and beneficial influence on Sartaj, and this makes the film take an about-turn. The film is not at all magnifying drugs. The best part of the film is Alia’s character; the mortification both substantially and psychologically is shocking. Sartaj’s brother Prabhjot Singh (Balli), a teenager, addicted to the drugs is another promising plot which shows what-drug-can-do-to-you strings. The movie is right to the point and moves on without any unnecessary duds.
A story with lots of intensity and reality is presented beautifully. The choice of star cast is outstanding. The effect of the movie is gracefully inferred upon the minds of people. The way Punjab is wounded with the drug plague and how the generations have been knocked down by it. The movie is surely a ‘not-to-miss’ film.
An unbiased showcase of politics in the film is finely done, how they help the drug dealers to intoxicate the country. The plot is not routed around the bush rather has covered all the uncovered muddy holes where the future is lying dead. The movie is a sincere effort to show how Punjab is badly drifted into drugs. Udta Punjab has proved why it should not have been restrained or bleached.
• Shahid Kapoor has filched the show with his acting skills and the way he adapted the character of a drug addict and an accidental pop-star on screen. The versatility and truly talented actor Shahid has done full justice to the character.
• Alia Bhatt’s acting will give you thrills and will leave you drop-dead. Her performance in the film has proved that no other actress would have done justice to the role the way she has done. Alia Bhatt’s modest and refined acting will break all the shackles. She has done a tremendous job and flaunted her potential by coming out of her comfort zone.
• Kareena Kapoor Khan somewhere failed to impart her character. Its seems that she was unable to hold the required austerity.
• Diljit Dosanjh has done a commendable job and has bridged the movie from end to end.
1. Fascinating, diverse acting styles by all the leads.
2. The way Kareena lends her professionalism, and the kind of control she takes up is remarkable. Beautiful acting by Diljit Dosanjh.
3. The vulnerability of Shahid Kapoor and Alia Bhatt. 4. The most alluring entity is Punjab, doing a great impression of an addict. The most overwhelming act of all.
What’s not there?
1. The thing not there in the movie is that one cut implicit by the High Court. (Where Shahid aka Tommy Sing is pissing on the audience).
2. Kareena Kapoor Khan’s charm and immeasurable acting skills are somewhere missing in the movie, although she has done her part quite well.
Udta Punjab is a movie with promising performances and is a wake-up call with important messages and an impressive art piece of Indian Cinema. A film which can proudly stand on its own feet and can rise high. It’s a pure reality and not covered with shitty facades in the name of “popcorn-entertainment”.
LATEST MOVIE REVIEWS