Bollywood stars may be remaking South Indian movies, but these 20 actresses have themselves worked in South.
- Famous for being a youth icon due to her role in ‘Kaisi Yeh Yaariaan’ as Nandini, Niti has been seen in a handful of television serials along with three Telugu movies. She made her debut in Telegu movies with the 2012 film ‘Mem Vayasuku Vachcham’ followed by ‘
’ in 2013. She was also seen in ‘
Love Dot Com
,’ another 2013 film.
- From starting her career as a participant in the Channel V show ‘Get Gorgeous’ to being a finalist in Femina
(crowned Miss India Iron Maiden), then working in the South films and finally entering the Hindi television world, Asmita has had quite a joyful ride. She is best known for her role as Meher in Star Plus’ ‘Phir Bhi Na Maane…Badtameez Dil'. She has also done several films in Telugu, Malayalam, and Kannada industry. She made her debut with the hit Telugu film ‘Brammigadi Katha’ in 2013. Her other notable works include ‘
’ (Kannada), ‘
’ (Malayalam) and ‘Aadu Magaadra Bujji’ (Telugu).
- Hailing from Bhopal, Madirakshi made her debut with the Telugu comedy film ‘Ori Devudoy,’ directed by
. Although the movie did not run successfully, but it paved the road for Madirakshi. Her acting skills and good looks got het the role of Sita in Star Plus’ ‘
Siya Ke Ram
- Preetika has bid adieu to the South film industry. After working in Tamil, Telugu and Kannada films, Preetika does not feel comfortable doing films where the language is alien to her. Her filmography includes ‘Chikku Bukku’ (Tamil), ‘Priyudu’ (Telugu) and ‘Rebbel’ (Kannada/Pre-production). She wants to focus on her career in the television industry, which took off thanks to her role as Aaliya on Colors TV’s ‘Beintehaa". Preetika is also a singer and a writer.
5. Anita Hassanandini- Many people don’t know that Anita made her debut in the industry with a small role in the film ‘’ (1998). She then went on to begin her modelling career and bagged several commercials. In 2001 she was spotted by Balaji Telefilms and started working in the serial ‘Kabhi Sautan Kabhi Saheli,’ which became an instant hit among viewers. She went back to Bollywood to reboot her career in the 2003 thriller ‘Kucch To Hai’ followed by ‘
’ and ‘Koi Aap Sa'. Unfortunately for Anita, Bollywood was nothing more than a flop stint for her. She then travelled down South and did a few films which did not pan to much either. Some of those films are ‘Nuvvu Nenu’ (Telugu), ‘Samurai,’ and ‘Varushamellam Vasantham'.
- It does not matter that she didn’t win the Miss India 2012 pageant because Erica has managed to win over her audience’s heart with her acting skills in South Indian movies. Making her debut with the Tamil film ‘Ainthu Ainthu Ainthu’ in 2013, Erica was an instant hit. She then went on to work in ‘
’ (Kannada) the following year. The same year, Erica made her debut in Bollywood with the movie ‘Babloo Happy Hai.’ She can now be seen as the lead female, Dr. Sonakshi Bose in ‘
Kuch Rang Pyar Ke Aise Bhi
’ on Sony TV.
- With 7 South Indian films, numerous commercials and a starring role in Zee TV’s ‘Tashan-e-Ishq,’ Jasmin Bhasin is one lucky girl. She made her debut with the Tamil movie ‘
’ in 2011 opposite Simbu. She continued her work with ‘
’ (Kannada), ‘Beware of Dogs’ (Malayalm), and Veta (Telugu) among others. Jasmin then transitioned to television with the role of Twinkle Taneja in the 2015 RomCom serial, ‘Tashan-e-Ishq'.
- Shraddha of ‘Tumhari Pakhi,’ ‘
Main Lakshmi Tere Aangan Ki
,’ and ‘
’ fame has a long list of achievements. Having worked in B-Town, commercials, and even South Indian movies, she has done it all. Arya made her debut in Telugu films with the movie ‘Godava’ back in 2007. ‘Godava’ was followed by other Telugu films like ‘Kothi Muka’ and ‘Romeo'. Shraddha then ventured into Kannada film industry and worked in two movies; ‘Double Decker’ and ‘Madhuve Mane'.
9. Tridha Choudhary- Making her debut through Tollywood (Bengali) with hit movies like ‘Mishawr Rawhoshyo,’ Tridha is one popular actress. She has also worked in the very famous Telugu film ‘Surya vs. Surya'. She can now be seen gracing the television screen opposite Harshad Arora in Star Plus’ ‘Dehleez'. This Bengali actress also won the ‘Calcutta Times Fresh Face’ award in 2011.
- A popular child actress during the 90s, Neha Pendse started her career in then popular serials like ‘
,’ and ‘Hasratein'. She is probably one of the biggest names in Marathi cinema, and has also worked in several South Indian films. Her first Telugu movie was ‘Sontham’ in 2002. She then went on to work in ‘Made in USA’ (Malayalam) followed by other movies in Marathi, Hindi, Telugu and Malayalam. Currently, she can be seen in Life OK’s ‘May I Come in Madam?’ as Sanjana, the lead.
- Ishita Dutta, the younger sister of
, made her name down in South with her debut Telugu film, ‘
’ in 2012. She was then cast in a supporting role for the Kannada film, ‘Raja Rajendra,’ the same year. Ishita along with her sister Tanushree were set to work together in another Kanada movie ‘Yenidu Manasali'. Unfortunately for the sisters, the movie was shelved. Previously she played the lead role of Poonam in ‘Ek Ghar Banaunga'. The actress can now be seen in Life OK’s ‘Rishton Ka Saudagar- Baazigar'.
- At one time, Panchi Bora was a leading lady in the television industry with her roles in Ekta Kapoor’s serials like, ‘
Kitni Mast Hai Zindagi
’ and ‘Kayamath'. Between projects, while in Russia, she was selected for a role in ‘The Hindu,’ a Russian TV series in English. She forayed into the world of cinema with the Telugu movie ‘Akashame Haddu’ in 2011. Since then she has worked in six more Telugu movies before returning to small screen as the antagonist, Jhanvi Bora in ‘Gangaa'.
- Over 40 movies, 7 TV serials, and countless awards, Hansika Motwani, has been a really busy actress. Her humongous success in showbiz belies her age. At 25, she Hansika has outdone many contemporaries with her acting skills. Hansika made her debut as a child actress with Aruna Irani’s primetime show ‘
Des Mein Niklla Hoga Chand
’ and became a household name. While doing her second serial, ‘Shaka Laka Boom Boom'.Hansika got her first break in Bollywood with the movie ‘Hawa'. Her Telugu movie debut was ‘Desamuduru’ for which she was awarded. She has had not to look back since then, as she is now an iconic South Indian actress.
- Sudha Chandran’s career began with a biopic in Telugu. The film was titled ‘
’ and was based on her own life. Sudha while in her teens had met with an accident which resulted in her losing her right foot. But she overcame her hurdles and went on to become an established Bharatanatyam dancer. She has worked in several television serials, Bollywood movies and even in South Indian films. She made her debut in the Tamil film industry with the 1986 film ‘Sarvam Sakthimayam'. The same year she made her Malayalam debut as well with ‘Malarum Kiliyum'. Kannada cinema welcomed her in 1988 with ‘Olavina Aasare'. With over 80 movies and television serials to her credit, Sudha is a big name in the industry.
- Albeit her debut was with 'Kahaani Humaare Mahaabhaarat Ki' as Radha, Pooja became famous with her role as Vrinda in Star Plus’ ‘Tujh Sang Preet Lagai Sajna'.She has also acted in several Bengali movies and is a celebrated actress there. Her one foray into South Indian films was the Telugu film ‘Veedu Theda’ in 2011. She can now be seen as a participant in ‘'.
- One of the biggest reasons for the success of ‘’ was undoubtedly the fresh presence of Shilpa Anand on screen. There is no denying the fact that this gorgeous actress can light up any room with her beatific smile and good looks. Born in South Africa, Shilpa made her debut with the Telugu movie ‘
’ in 2003 as Vedika. It was followed by the Kannada film ‘Sarvabhouma’ the following year. ‘Iqraar By Chance’ saw her debut in Bollywood. And in 2007, she got her most famous role as Dr. Riddhima Gupta in ‘Dill Mill Gayye'.
- It is not easy to fill the shoes of a character played by a child artist and then doing it justice like the child did. But in the case of Gangaa, the titular character of the serial ‘Gangaa', we see actress Aditi Sharma playing the role with all her heart. The actress formerly famous for being one of the ladies in the movies ‘Ladies vs. Ricky Behl’ came into the spotlight after winning the ‘India's Best Cinestars Ki Khoj’ show in 2004. She was also praised for her acting skills in ‘
’ and ‘Ekkees Toppon Ki Salaami'. Aditi made her debut in Telugu cinema with ‘Gunde Jhallumandi’ in 2008 and has since worked in several more Telugu films.
- She played the role of Goddess Parvati in the immensely popular serial ‘Devon Ke Dev...Mahadev’ and became a household name overnight. Her pretty face and sweet voice lent innocence to her character. Sonarika made her debut in the television industry with the serial ‘Tum Dena Saath Mera'. In 2015 she delved into films with the Telugu movie ‘Jadoogadu’ and was an instant hit. Since then she has had appeared in two more Telugu films and is all set to make her Tamil debut.
19. Avika Gor-Avika Gor of ‘’ and ‘
Sasural Simar Ka
’ fame is now all grown up and a big name in the South Indian film circuit. Making her debut with the Telugu movie ‘
, she worked in three more Telugu films. In 2015, she made her Kannada debut with ‘Care of footpath 2’ as Geeta. For now, she can be seen in ‘Sundar Shusheel Bahu’ as Anuja.
- Mahhi shot to fame with her portrayal of Nakusha in ‘Laagi Tujhse Lagan.’ She was also a part of Sony TV’s series ‘Akela'. Having participated in several reality shows and music videos, Vij is a popular face with the audience. But before all these started, Mahhi made her debut way back in 2004 with the Malayalam horror movie ‘Aparichithan’ as Kalyani, a ghost.