‘Shikast’ was a TV series directed by Anubhav Sinha in 1993 for a TV Channel called Mumbai Channel. Later on, this was relayed on Sony TV. Lyrics for the show were done by none other than Gulzar and background music was done by Vishal Bharadwaj.
This was Anubhav Sinha's directorial debut. The cast of this serial included Shammi Kapoor, Surekha Sikri, Kittu Gidwani, Milind Gunaji, Raj Zuthshi, Manoj Pahwa, Vineet Kumar, Shashank Dabral, Shubangi. Sunil Kaushik composed music and Vijay Arora handled the camera.
Ziaghan Ali is editor of the serial. It was from this serial that TV actress Kittu Gidwani became famous. In those days, there were plots and sub-plots in every serial and narration was as per the original story. Hence, the series did catch public eye attention although there were some flaws in acting of few actors.
Another version of this story...
Shikast was a serial aired on channel Doordarshan in 1993. The show was directed by Anubhav Sinha, narrated by Naseeruddin Shah and Nazm by Gulzaar Saab. The show was later re-telecasted on Sony TV. Anubhav Sinha is a well known director in the Indian film industry. He is famous for his movies Ra One with Shah Rukh Khan and the recent Gulab Gang with Juhi Chawla and Madhuri Dixit. The show saw some of the most recognized faces of Bollywood today.
• Manoj Bajpai, known for his work in Bollywood and Tamil film industry. He is famous for his impressive work in the recent movies like Rajneeti, Gangs of Wasseypur and Many more.
• The legendary Shammi Kapoor. He played the lead role in the TV series.
• Milind Gunaji, a well known Marathi and Hindi television and film actor. He has appeared in several numerous films and TV serials.
• Ashish Vidyarti, another celebrated actor in film industry. He has appeared in movies since the ‘90s. He is known for his work in the recent movie Barfi! As Mr. Chaterjee.
• Surekha Sikri, also known as ‘Daadi Sa’ in the famous TV serial Balika Vadhu.
• Kitu Gidwani, actress and model, well known as ‘Anisha Roy’ is the movie Fashion.
• Raj Zutshi. He is a well recognized theatre and television and film actor, best known for his role as Harleen’s father in movie Love Aaj Kal and as the history teacher in the movie Stanley Ka Dabba.