TOP 10 CELEBRITIES WHO CONVERTED TO ISLAM
1. A.R. Rahman: He is a famous music composer, songwriter, music director, and singer. He is an Oscar award winner as well. His actual name was Dileep Kumar. His father is a Hindu, and the mother is a Muslim. He had an inclination towards being an atheist. But later he was influenced by the values and ideas of Islam and hence decided to convert to Islam. His full name is Allah-Rakha Rahman.
2. Dharmendra: His original name was Dharam Singh Deol. He was a born Hindu. He is one of the finest and known actors of Bollywood. He converted to Islam approximately in 1979. He was first married to Prakash Kaur, a Hindu. Soon after his marriage he fell in love with Hema Malini and wanted to marry her but did not want to leave his first wife. And according to the Hindu Marriage Act, he could not marry the second time. So he converted to Islam to get married to Hema Malini. He changed his name to Dilawar Khan but still practiced Hinduism.
3. Sharmila Tagore: She is one of the most beautiful actresses in Bollywood. In 2013, she was awarded the Padma Bhushan by the Indian Government. She converted to Islam because she fell in love with famous former Indian Cricket team Captain and the Nawab of Pataudi, Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi; she converted before their marriage. Post conversion, she was named Begum Ayesha Sultana.
4. Mahesh Bhatt: He is a well-known director, producer, and screenwriter of Bollywood. He converted to Islam to get married to Soni Razdan, his love who is a Muslim. Mr. Bhatt married his love without giving divorce to his first wife, Kiran Bhatt.
5. Hema Malini: She is the ‘Dream Girl’ of Bollywood and a gorgeous actress. After Dharmendra had converted to Islam, so that he could marry for the second time, Hema Malini, too, converted to Islam to get married to Dharmendra.
6. Mamta Kulkarni: She is a renowned actor of the 1990s. Her would-be husband Vicky Goswami was caught at the airport of Saudi Arabia or UAE in a drug smuggling case. He was sentenced to 25 years of imprisonment but was released early in 2012. It was heard that his span of imprisonment reduced due to his conversion to Islam. Later on, Mamta Kulkarni converted to get married to her would-be husband while he was in prison.
7. Hans Raj Hans: He is a popular Indian singer. By birth, he was a Sikh. Some of his popular songs were: Aaja Nachle, Duma Dum Mast Kalandar, etc. He was studying Islamic Literature which had an immensely positive impact on him regarding the values and ideals of Islam and after that, he decided to convert to Islam.
8. Amrita Singh: She began her career in Bollywood in the year 1983 with the movie ‘Betaab.’ She gave several other hits later on. She is from a Sikh-Muslim family and strictly followed Sikhism till she fell in love with Saif-Ali Khan. In spite of the huge age gap between the two, they decided to marry each other and so Amrita Singh converted to Islam. But in, 2004 due to differences in their relationship, both of them called off their marriage.
9. Yuvan Shankar Raja: Son of Ilaiyaraja, he is one of the youngest music composers. He was born in a Hindu family. It was reported that his father was too superstitious. And Yuvan realized his spiritual nature after his mother passed away and he met a Muslim friend who had visited the Mecca and gifted him a prayer mat. After that, he started reading the Quran and praying. He found peace in Islam. It was then, that he decided to convert to Islam in January 2014.
10. Ayesha Takia: She is a Bollywood actress and worked in movies like ‘Wanted,’ etc. It is reported that she converted to Islam before getting married to the restaurant owner, who was a Muslim, Farhan Azmi. She is from a family consisting of a Hindu father and an Anglo-Indian mother.